What I Recre(drank): Chai, Black Pepper & Cardamom

The Place: Podunk, The American Tea Room.*

The Dish: Pot of Tea: Chai, Black Pepper Cardamom.

What is inside:

black tea
cinnamon
cardamom
ginger
cloves
star anise
black pepper

This little gem in the East Village reminded me a lot of Maine. Dishes don't match, and beach chairs and rustic tables fill the space. My parents have a knack for mixing and matching dishes, and to this day I randomly pick up plates and cups for my own place, mixing and matching makes the setting more whimsical.


My recreation:

Chai Tea with Black Pepper and Cardamom.

cheesecloth
chai tea bags- cut them open, put the tea in the center of the cheesecloth
black pepper- 2 shakes
cardamom- 6 whole pods placed on top of the tea
hot water

I tied the cheesecloth fairly tight, boiled water, and let the tea bag steep for about 5 minutes.

Next time I will use more pepper. I went a little easy this time. Tip: it is easier to add than take away.

I encourage you to put on a big hat or fascinator and go out for High Tea. But really, any authentic tea house is worth it and will have an array of teas and finger foods that are sure to satisfy your senses.

*Update 2022: Podunk has closed its doors.

Comments

Popular Posts