What I recreated: Spicy tempeh


The Place: The Green Bean Cafe

The Location: 1413 York Ave, New York 10021
(Btwn 75th & 76th St)

The Dish: Organic spicy glazed tempeh

What is inside

Ingredients:

organic tempeh
sweet potato
kale
brocolli
zucchini
spice glazed gravy

This little cafe is in my Yorkville hood, and I have walked past it a hundred times. I finally went in for some Friday evening take-out. It is a tiny little gem, you can eat-in or take away, and either way you will be satisfied. They have a variety of raw, vegan and vegetarian dishes to warm all palates.

My recreation

1 sweet potato, cut in half, sprinkled with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and a little bit of cold pressed coconut oil. I placed it skin down in a baking dish, filled the dish with a 1/2 inch water, and covered it with aluminum foil. I baked the potato at 450 degrees for about 30-40 minutes (I recommend to check it after 25 minutes, though as not all ovens seem to be created equal).

some swiss chard, broccoli, and garlic, steamed with a pad of butter, pepper and sea salt

5 grain tempeh (bought fully cooked, so I rubbed some walnut oil and Sriracha on it, microwaved it and called it a masterpiece)

Note: sriracha is my answer to everything

eggplant hummus- I just threw a dollop on top of the tempeh after everything was cooked because I have been hummus crazy lately...this part is optional.

Stove top, oven and microwave, all working synergistically to create my dinner.

Unexpectations

I actually liked my creation better. This is not to belittle the Green Bean Cafe's creation, which was wonderful, but I left the skin on my potato, and they did not. I also had control of what oils I used and how much, and the broccoli was steamed near perfect (something I picked up while nannying for twin toddlers in the city).

I hope by now you are seeing how easy it can be to make a meal, no recipe included. 

Comments

Popular Posts