What I recreated: Not so chicken, chicken salad


The  Place: V-Note*

The Location: 1522 First Avenue (Near 80th Street) New York, NY

The Dish: Curried Unchicken salad

What is inside

The Ingredients:

romaine lettuce
macadamia nuts, toasted
red apple
onions
celery
roasted potatoes
soy chicken
curry veganaise

I ordered delivery on Friday night from a local restaurant through Seamless (long live) and was in a "salad-y" mood, whatever that means. I decided on the unchicken curry salad, which for me is a bit of a reach since I love my chicken salad not "un." But it's all about vegetarian dishes this month so I rolled with it, and alas I was pleased.

My recreation

Ingredients:

romaine lettuce
macadamia nuts
Seiten**
apples
onions
curry nonveganaise (curry, coconut oil, plain full fat yogurt)

I forgot about the potatoes. That's the bad news. The good news? It doesn't matter.

I washed and casually chopped up the romaine and put it in a bowl. Then I more seriusly chopped half an apple, half of a small onion, and mixed it together with my curry creation of veganaise. I placed this on the romaine,  sprinkled with some macadamia nuts and topped with the seiten.

One thing that does help you to enjoy cooking and the kitchen prep-work a bit more is to have a good set of knives, or at least one good knife. It is also important for safetyT. he first porfessional-type knife I purchased when I was in Food Lab (best class ever) at NYU was a Victorinox Chef's Knife. Check out this and some other kitchen combos here.***

**I had never bought seitan before, and I was quite pleased with the price. However, taste wise I prefer the restaurant version. Nutrition wise this is a superb choice for vegans/vegetarians, unless you have Celiac Disease or are sensitive to gluten, therefore, steer clear.                                                            

Vegetarian month wrap up

There you have it. A month dedicated to vegetarian, vegan, and/or raw restaurant dishes recreated. February's theme is heart healthy month. This covers about 21 countries through the Mediterranean so it is sure to includes lots of olive oil!

*Update: V-Note is now permanently closed




***I am an affiliate for items that I personally have used and recommend. 

Comments

Popular Posts