What I recreated: Berry green smoothie

Originally written January, 2013


The Place: Organic Avenue*

The Location: 1021 Lexington Avenue
(between 73rd & 74th)
New York, NY 10021

The Blend: Berry Green Smoothie

What is inside

blueberries
cucumber Juice
coconut Water
himalayan Salt
lemon Juice
spirulina
boku superfood
coconut sugar
alkaline water
boku Protein
dates
collard Greens
kale
mint

An avenue worth running down

I have been a fairly frequent flyer at Organic Avenue after I discovered their Turmeric Tonic. It's a bit pungent at first, a little hot on the chest, but I always feel refreshed after I drink it. And for $7, heck I should.

The smoothie rang it at $10. Not the cheapest, but after an 8 mile run it was a great burst of nutrients that did not weigh me down, and I could follow it by a more substantial meal to replete my glycogen stores.

My recreation

I got my NutriBullet in the mail (Christmas gift from Dad- he frequently calls it the "Nutribomb," which is growing on me), I decided to re-make this veggie fruity smoothy. I did not like it as my as my Turmeric Tonic, but here it is:

My Ingredients:

dandelion greens
swiss chard
coconut water
coconut sugar (a pinch and a dash)
Maine frozen blueberries
cucumber
maca, hemp and cocoa Powder (about a tablespoon mixed together)
distilled water
mint
sea salt- pinch

I followed the NutriBullet instructions for blending, which includes making sure you have enough water to mix with the solids, and that was that. I pushed a button, blended, poured the smoothie into a tall glass and took a sip. I taste the bitterness of the dandelion and maca cake the back of my tongue while the coconut sugar and blueberries kissed the front. I took another sip. My cells plump up with hydration. What is that feeling? Energy.

The rise of pressed juice

*An update on Organic Avenue, 2023. Sadly they closed their doors in 2015, which you may read more about here. For me personally, Organic Avenue was one of the thought leaders in the Manhattan pressed juice scene. As I walked East from th 86th Street station to my home I often stopped by for a shot of ginger or my weekly Tumeric Tonic. Thank you Organic Avenue. 

Comments

Popular Posts